Friday, November 20, 2009

Running at my pace

Last night I ran a mile and a half, which should have been it's own post. Felt great pushed hard, made it and smiled. But that's gone, new day.

About a week ago, after a pretty crappy run I took the dog for a walk. The dog was hyper and so we ran some half blocks in between her peeing on every tree that still a had a leaf on it.

What I noticed though is how I was running. I loved the pace, the speed. It felt right. My arms and legs and feet were in sync, like clockwork It felt good. No, it felt great. It felt like the speed I was made for. my feet actually rolled heel to toe instead of plod plod plod.

For my mile runs and of course my mile and a half, I run slow. I feel slow. My motion feels stiff, artificial, slowing myself down so I can run distance. But that's not me.

I am not running "to make the team" or to train for something. My goal isn't a marathon or 10 miles or lose some weight. It's a mile. I can do a mile. Now I want to do it my way.

I am running for me. I want to run at my pace then, that speed that feels natural, that feels like I SHOULD be running, not like I am constantly holding back to make it to a line.

Tonight I started over. I ran. My back hurts, tweaked, whatever, no excuses. I can always find an excuse. I ran and I ran at my speed.

I didn't make a mile. I didn't make half a mile. At my speed I ran a quarter mile, and I walked a block and I ran again, and I stopped, and I ran again. I started over like I was months ago, but I did it at my speed.

That is now I am running now. I don't care if I don't run a mile again for a month, I am not doing it until it is my pace again, the one that feels like I am running, like I am made for it.

Mile time: who cares, it feels good this way
Sore: what did i do to my back
Next up: I guess laps around the block at my speed. If I can even make it that far

No comments:

Post a Comment